I’ve always wanted to go to New York so when my boss pulled me aside and asked me if I wanted to go with her to New York for work I was ecstatic. Well, I thought I was in trouble at first–so I was very pleasantly surprised. I immediately texted people, called my mom and told them I was heading to New York for work in 2 weeks.

I almost missed my flight. I had read the time wrong and thought our plane left an hour later than it actually did but I sprinted through the airport and made it with 10 minutes to spare. Thank you Jesus. I was praying so hard that I would make this flight and I did! From there it was smooth sailing–everything else felt like a piece of cake (kind of).

Once we land in Newark airport, we head out to hail a taxi to take us to Brooklyn. The most hip dressed cab driver pulled up in a minivan taxi wearing ray bans, a button down shirt with a sweater over it and oxfords. He didn’t look much older than me. I was intrigued by what his story would be. Turns out, he’s a student and works 2 other jobs on the side. The New Yorker hustle is so real.

We arrive at the Franklin Guesthouse, a newly renovated hotel that just opened up in April. The service was amazing! They even had complimentary driving service within a 1 mile radius. Once we got settled into our rooms, my boss and I headed out to Casa Publica for some bomb Mexican food. I couldn’t decide what to eat so the waitress surprised me by ordering for me. I had the octopus taco and oh my gosh–BEST taco I’ve had hands down.

The next morning I headed to work for a food event. But before that, I of course had to get some breakfast and squeeze in a short visit to a nearby coffee shop. Just a 2 minute walk from my hotel, I found myself in Wonderland, aka Bakeri. The workers were all dressed up in jumpsuits with head scarves. My description wouldn’t do the place justice so I snapped away some pictures. There smoothie was kinda weird, but I really liked their pastries!

After chugging down a quick breakfast, it was time to get to work. The hours flew by–before I knew it I was back in my hotel room, exhausted, and ready to knock out. I have never fallen asleep while watching TV before but this day I did. Yup, I’m getting old.

Sunday morning was a dream! I had a few hours to myself and walked all over the area just exploring. I love looking at architecture and was in awe of all the brownstones. There were enormous ROWS of trees lining the sides of each house.

My sole mission this Sunday morning was to get to this famous donut shop, Peter Pan Donut & Pastry Shop to get myself a good donut. I love donuts, more specifically sprinkled donuts but I read reviews on their apple crumble so I got that and I was not disappointed. Look at that delicious, sugary topping. 

There were so many boutiques I walked past to get to the donut shop so it was time to back track and check out those boutiques. Everything in Brooklyn opens late so as a morning person, there isn’t a whole lot to do besides run (like a true Brooklyn resident). There were about 5 more coffee shops I wanted to check out but I couldn’t buy anymore food. I was so full (because I saw a pizza shop the night before and decided to eat a giant slice of Brooklyn pizza for my second dinner). I love pizza. Pizza and donuts–the ultimate American combo. I couldn’t help myself and stopped by Ovenly and bought one of their famous sea salt chocolate chip cookies and a quiche for breakfast.

After sitting down and enjoying a quiet meal to myself, I was determined to buy something as like a keepsake. I just wanted something special to remember the trip by. So I was on the hunt through small boutiques for anything to buy. I stumbled upon this plant shop/coffee shop Homecoming.

Before heading to the airport, we had to get in one last good meal so we stopped by by CHLOE. in Williamsburg.  I wish I had more time to see more of New York but I got a good little taste. I’ll be back for more!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *